Be Still...

We all know how crazy, hectic, impossibly busy this time of year seems to be.  For some reason, I'm finding myself stressed and worried more than usual this year.  I feel disappointed that I don't seem to have it all together and I was convinced life was supposed to be simpler with the move - almost a year ago!  It hasn't been.  

I've gotten busier (yay!) with my Wisdom & Whimsy projects, I've started doing data entry from home part time, and on top of that I'm still trying to earn the mom of the year award while wearing my Martha Stewart hat - and I'm failing miserably on both those fronts!  And just because life in and of itself isn't enough of a whirlwind, illness decides to pop by for a surprise visit like an unwanted house guest, seemingly sucking the life and energy out of us all ever so slowly.   Oh, and we're going on vacation over the Christmas holidays and I'm a detail person - I need lists, checkmarks, plans in place well in advance of the great departure and just can't seem to find the time to squeeze it in as completely as I'd like.   Little details are falling through the cracks and you can only apply so much pressure before something has to give!

Let's rewind a few weeks though and reflect on a verse from our pastor's sermon that plunked itself inside of me and won't let go:

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." Exodus 14:14

This of course, also reminds me of the classic verse "Be still, and know that I am God;" (Psalm 46:10)

I've heard this theme reiterated over and over and over again in the course of the last few weeks from various unrelated sources... but I'm Dutch, I'm stubborn, and sometimes I just don't listen.   Maybe, just maybe, there's something in this whole concept of stillness.  Maybe, just maybe, I need to stop trying to do EVERYTHING all at once, in my own strength - which is ever failing - and take the time to just be still - to meditate on the goodness of God, on the faithfulness of His promises, on the faith, hope, love, humility and humanity that are the foundation of this season, to remember to be thankful for the blessings we enjoy.  What if I stop struggling with the need to do it all and actually take the time to breathe, to sit quietly. to be still?  I can only find the rest, the peace, the strength that comes through leaning on Him.  So I charge you too - in the midst of all the crazy, hectic, impossible busyness of the season - take time to be still and find strength in reflecting on the hope and promise of Christmas.


Comments

  1. Bless you for that message Linds! I thank God for you, your faith, your wisdom....AND your WHIMSY!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Menu Monday: 2013

Charming Ribbon Bookmark Knockoff

A Quiet Moment With A Traditional Cup Of Cocoa