We don't celebrate big (maybe when we were dating, I got the token romance and wooing) and from there it's usually been meals in, light a few candles.... but this week we're going for dinner (as a family) or Kevin's bringing home takeout - probably a good thing because I made it two weeks without doing a grocery shop (minus milk & fruit) although I varied from the menu quite a bit. Kaleb says "We should go out, Mommy, so you don't have to cook and it's less work for you." Ah, sweet kid!
I made pink cupcakes (found a box of cake mix - I'm out of flour!), iced them with Nutella (because I don't even have icing sugar in the pantry), will top them with a shot of whipped cream and I melted down some white chocolate, tinted it pink and piped it into heart shapes to top the cupcakes. This is more an afterschool treat for the daycare crew than a dessert for the family to enjoy. We'll also be making candy flowers - hearts cut out of paper, hole punched near the bottom then you thread a few onto a sucker (a round one like a tootsie pop) and voila, candy flower. The older boys will complain but it a) keeps them busy for a few minutes and b) I've told them they don't get the suckers if they don't do the craft. I'm so mean.
On top of this it's Monday, and Valentine's celebrations aside, I need to think about our meal plan/menu for the upcoming week - 6 meals because I'm not cooking tonight, and of course a spare.
- Spinach Stuffed Pasta Shells - recipe courtesy of the Haute Apple Pie blog. I'll probably make mine with sausage or ground turkey rather than chicken. Served with a ceasar (salad, not the drink) and probably some garlic bread or garlic sticks. Did I mention I made the Nutella Orange French Toast recipe from that site?! Lemme tell ya' - BIG hit!
- Crockpot Pot Roast
- Beef Barley Soup (using the pot roast leftovers)
- Roasted Chicken Breasts, Ranch Roasted Potatoes & a veggie side
- Pesto Chicken Pasta Salad (or maybe I'll make it with apples and cranberries this time) - good hot or cold, it's a nice light-tasting alternative to a red sauce pasta.
- Chicken Ceasar Pitas
- Chicken Fingers & Sweet Potatoe Fries