Words To Live By:

"The work will wait while you show the child the rainbow, but the rainbow won't wait while you finish the work."

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Charming Ribbon Bookmark Knockoff

I'm not sure I've ever tried (or successfully managed) a chain store knockoff before.   A few weeks ago, the boys and I were in Pier1.  (I think that trip gave me a heart condition - do NOT EVER - never, ever even - bring two rambunctious monkeys into a store filled with pretty expensive things.)   I have never said, "Stop touching."  "Look with your eyes!"  "Don't run."  so many times in one short span of time.

I  love Pier1, but for a mama on a budget who isn't quite sure how she wants to decorate her house, it can still be a bit pricey.   They have some fabulous items though - their decor, art, dishes, and accessories make me swoon a little when I meander through their greatness.   I even love their little tchotskys and giftables - which is what inspired this knockoff.

I love to read.  I've said it before, I'll say it again.  This is just a fact of who I am.  As much as I like books, I loooooove pretty bookmarks.  Seriously.  I don't necessarily remember where I put them, but they make me happy.    I absolutely adored these:

And I thought that for $10 a pop, I could probably make a very similar version for a fraction of the cost.    Yes, and no....  I'll explain!

I ventured into Walmart & Michael's.  I picked out some pretty 5/8" satin ribbons that I loved (and then raided my stash when I got home for more variety!)   I also found some charms and oversize beads that I thought would work well together.  (I then came home and in my raid session found some I already had that were just perfect for this project.)  I had jump rings on hand.    All in all, after purchasing all the goodies for these bookmarks, I could have bought one for less than I spent total.

I cut my ribbon (5/8" satin) into approx. 32" lengths.  I couldn't remember how long the Pier1 bookmarks were so using the picture and an actual hardcover as a guide, I figured 32" would work.   I then slid a ring onto the ribbon halfway and folded the ribbon over - the rings I used were actually half of a toggle set clasp or some "o" shaped beads.   I added a jump ring if necessary and attached my desired charm.   I then slid an oversized decorative bead (think Pandora-ish) onto the folded ribbon from the open ends and slid it down.  I knotted the top of the ribbon haves together, snipped so I was left with approx. 14" length and heat-sealed the ribbon.   If you've never heat sealed a ribbon, it's easy - just watch your fingers!  Light a candle, bring the snipped end of the ribbon (one at a time) close to the flame - kind of on an angle - not directly above it.  Watch your fingers - and the ribbon - it's easy to singe and burn.  Burnt ribbon really smells!   You'll know you're doing it correctly as the cut ends curl up and turn kind of melted looking - this will prevent your ribbon from fraying.   And here is your finished project:

I made about 10 of these today and need to buy a few more supplies to make more - lots and lots more!  They were pretty simple, but it does take a bit of time.   They cost about half of what a Pier 1 bookmark cost per piece (not counting your time) and I think they're pretty darn close in the knockoff department.

I'm trying to create a whole bunch of these.  I need impulse buys for Wisdom & Whimsy tables at some fall/early winter craft shows.  I think they would make darling stocking stuffers for readers on your list or even great teacher gifts tucked into a package with a new bestseller and a Starbucks card.

Want to win one of the charming satin ribbon bookmarks I've already created?  Check out the contest (closes Saturday at 8pm!) on my Wisdom & Whimsy Facebook page.    Make sure you like the page and then add a comment below the photo of the bookmarks sharing your favourite title & author.


1 comments:

Karie Ball said...

That is where I was today! Loved the bookmarks and thought the same thing. And you are more brave than I. I have only brought one rambunctious boy in there and I will never do it again! Thanks for the pic. I couldn't remember exactly how they were put together.

Post a Comment